Collaboratively plan inclusive, standards-driven lessons to meet the needs of every student. Students have diverse skills, knowledge, learning styles, and backgrounds, and one approach won’t help all learners meet rigorous new standards. In Inclusion & CCSS Supports for Students & Staff, author Toby Karten summarizes the reasons and research behind Common Core State Standards and other widely adopted initiatives. She then offers recommendations for using research-based inclusion strategies, instructional supports, monitoring, reflection, and collaborative practices to give all staff and the students they instruct a step-by-step outcome-based formula.
Karten highlights the ADMIRE strategic approach, focusing on ways to assess, activate, decide, delineate, model, monitor, instruct, involve, reflect, revise, engage, and enrich students and staff with the standards. She also explores:
• Exercises designed for teachers who work within inclusive environments
• Realistic academic, social and behavioral classroom scenarios
• Practical resources to facilitate planning, instruction, and assessment
• Guidance to bolster administrators’ support of teachers
• Strategies for matching evidence-based practices with specific students
• Grade-level examples of Common Core applications
Every student deserves access to a quality education, viable postsecondary options, and the core knowledge required by rigorous standards. With collaborative planning, a deep understanding of the standards, and Karten’s valuable guidance, any school can proficiently provide just that.