High Quality Content by WIKIPEDIA articles! The Waikaka Branch was a branch line railway of the Main South Line that ran through agricultural and gold-mining country in Southland, New Zealand. IT was constructed in 1907 and 1908, and was operated by the New Zealand Railways Department until its closure in 1962.THe Waikaka Branch was the last of the minor branches of northern Southland to be authorised, though proposals had existed for decades beforehand. POor transportation access was causing farm values to depreciate while wagoning costs were prohibitive, and settlers petitioned the government for a railway line to improve their economic prospects. THe town of Kelso had already been linked to the Dunedin-Invercargill portion of the Main South Line at Waipahi by the Tokanui Branch, but a prominent proposal supported another link, this time from Kelso via the Waikaka Valley to Gore on the Main South Line. IN 1878, this line was approved by the government and an official survey of the route was anticipated in early 1880.