Please note that the content of this book primarily consists of articles available from Wikipedia or other free sources online.THe Zoological Garden of Hamburg (German: Zoologischer Garten Hamburg) was a zoo in Hamburg, Germany that operated from 1863 until 1930. ITs aquarium, which opened in 1864, was among the first in the world.IN the 1850s, Hamburg was the third-largest city in the German Confederation; only Berlin and Vienna were larger. TRading in wild animals had begun in 1820 and a road-house menagerie was in operation in the 1840s. A Wealthy merchant named Ernst von Merck, a member of parliament in the German government at Frankfurt am Main in 1848 and 1849, assembled a society for the purposes of creating a zoo. ON July 10, 1860, at the charter meeting of the Zoological Society of Hamburg (German: Zoologische Gesellschaft in Hamburg), Merck was selected as president.