Please note that the content of this book primarily consists of articles available from Wikipedia or other free sources online. WAdi Maghareh (also spelled Maghara or Magharah) meaning "The Valley of Caves" in Arabic, is an Egyptian archaeological site in the southwestern Sinai Peninsula containing pharonic monuments and ancient turquoise mines from the Old, Middle, and New Kingdoms. THe Ancient Egyptians knew the site as "the Terraces of Turquoise."The site was rediscovered in 1809 by Ulrich Jasper Seetzen, and since then has seen several excavation teams, Richard Lepsius''s excavation in 1845 being the first. MAjor C. K. MCDonald''s visits to the site, including residence at the site from 1854-1866 (and an effort to mine turquoise there) resulted in only surface finds (arrowheads and such) with no further excavation.